Monday, December 01, 2008

Sidney's Sweet Sixteen



Exactly 16 years ago today I was experiencing the most exciting moment of my life.  I was at the hospital giving birth to Sidney.  I had been waiting for this moment since I was 14 (ok--let me clarify....I wasn't hoping to give birth at 14.....eww......that was just when my mom explained to me in clinical terms just why we would not be having any more children in our family, thus beginning in my mind the anticipation of having my own children.)  Sidney was everything I could have hoped for, and still is the most amazing young woman I know.  I scoured my very organized photo collection (pfffttt!)  and amassed a compilation of Sidney from birth to now.  Mostly in the form of school photos 'cause who doesn't love those, with a few snapshots and fun portraits thrown in.  Let us (me) reminisce....


Sidney at 2 weeks old




six weeks old



six months old



one year old



two years old


three years old


four years old


five years old


kindergarten


first grade


second grade


third grade


fourth grade


fifth grade


sixth grade


7th grade




8th grade


9th grade


10th grade



Erin photos
('cause if you've got 'em, you should flaunt 'em!)






So that's my Sid.  Sometimes I wonder how she came from me, but I'm certainly not complaining!!   In celebration of her 16th, I made a list:

To Sid:
Sixteen Things I Love About You

1. You are smart--not only academically, but you just have a ton of common sense, which usually counts for more than book smarts.

2. You are responsible--don't think I don't appreciate how you wake up yourself, get ready for school, and keep up on all your homework.  That is so cool!

3.  You are hilarious!  Watching you be you is so entertaining--I love, love love your wit!

4.  You are picky about your friends--People, if Sidney chooses you as a friend, just know that it's for real.  And that you must be a good person, 'cause she's just not interested in anything but!

5.  You are loyal--Again people, Sidney picks her friends for good, you can count on the fact that she will not give up on you unless you break her heart.

6.  You have an appreciation for babies and children.  I watch you with kids and love that you are going to appreciate being a mom.

7.  You are confidant--I know you will probably say "what is she thinking?"  because I hear you profess your lack of this trait, but then I see you move right on in scary situations and usually conquer, so I say your actions speak louder than your words sometimes!

8.  You let me in your life.  I know this is a rare thing, and I am so grateful for it.  Watching you grow and experience your life and getting to be a part of it means more than I can say.  Once again I refer to your hilarious approach to things.  I really get a kick out of watching you and your friends.  

9. You are not afraid of work.  Wether homework, housework, or job opportunities, you just plow right in.  I hope you realize how valuable this is!

10.  You are about as far from a brat as it gets.  You just don't have bratty qualities.  Or whiny ones.  Thank You!!

11. You have good values and a sense of justice.  The things you think are important are very worthwhile things: Family, friends, school, team, church (yeah, I know that you know that even when it isn't fun, it is still important!) your faith and your future.  You really have your head on pretty straight!

12.  You are creative and talented.  You can make anything look good, and you appreciate beauty.  You play beautiful violin and are really conquering the swimming!

13.  You are frugal.  Yeah, this I totally appreciate.  I am always amazed at how you can stretch a buck!  And you understand the realities of life in this economy.  Thanks for not making us feel like we deprive you of the "necessities" of life!  I know you appreciate what you have!

14.  Frugal, yet generous.  You aren't afraid to invest in what you feel is important.  

15. You are honest.  You exhibit this trait in many ways and expect this from people around you.  It's a valuable thing!

16.  Part of me hesitates to put this last one:  You can date.  Aside from the fact that this phrase still gives me a little heart attack, I really am looking forward to watching you have all that fun!  Considering all the above qualities, I'm not super worried about all the pitfalls of this next adventure because I trust you.  You hear me?!  I. Trust. You.  So have fun!  Be Good.  And tell me all about it when you get home!

Okay.  So there are just sixteen of the things I find wonderful about you.  Truthfully, I could go on and on, but we'll save that for another time.  I hope you have a fabulous birthday, Sidney.  I've had a blast watching you grow to this point, and will continue to, I'm sure.  I love you tons, my beautiful daughter.  

Love, Mom


16 comments:

Shauna said...

What a beautiful girl. And what a lovely tribute. Good job, Mom. Happy Sweet 16th, Sidney!

:) Shauna

miss mandi said...

Mam.
I hope i can call you that. This is sid's friend Mandi, i was told to check out the photos. I love them and i must agree. Sid is the best! I love her to death and she has helped me so much this past year. I just wanted to let you know how wonderful your daughter is, not only has she helped me, but she has helped many others, some of whom she doesnt even know! thanks for having such a wonderful kid! (i hope i dont sound cheesy or scare you out of your wits!)

tammy said...

Mandi--all Sid's friends are welcome to call me mam! And no way are you cheesy or scary!! You're sweet and like I said, Sid only picks the best for her friends!

Leslie said...

You have an amazing daughter because you are an amazing mother!! Please tell Sid Happy Birthday from the Clark fam.

Ashley said...

Wow, what a wonderful a)mother you are and b)daughter you have. I loved the tribute to Sidney. What a beautiful young woman she is! Happy birthday!

Melanee said...

That was probably the most beautifully amazing collage of thoughts and pictures for a 16 year old daughter, that I have ever seen. Sidney is an amazing girl and a very good example to all. I watched her in YW with the younger girls, who all follow her around- wanting to be just like her. (Chabrise is definitely one of those younger girls) I hope that Chabrise continues to follow in her footsteps. She is an amazing girl. (But then, aren't all of your kids amazingly awesome!!!) Good Job!!!

Kristine said...

What a sweetheart! I can only hope my kids are as cool as Sid. Happy Birthday to her!

Kimmie said...

Tammy thank you for sharing your daughter with me! She is amazing. There have been so many times I have thought about Sidney and her example to other's, you are so blessed with such a spectacular daughter!
Side note, she was just a Beehive..
What is this all about? Where did the time go?

kellieanne said...

Amen to every comment posted! I also said I wish one of my daughters would turn out like Sidney - she is exactly the kind of friend I would have enjoyed hanging out with while I was growing up. Hum - maybe that's why I hang with you Tammy. Like mother, like daughter! THAT is the hugest compliment I could send your way Sid.

HAPPY 16th BDAY!

i'm erin. said...

ohhhhhh...I have to say that after reading your post and seeing the Sidney Morph I wish that I had named my baby Sidney too! I just about cried when I read that. I hope sixteen years from now, I can say as many wonderful things too.

Now, don't tell anyone, but Sidney is my favorite!

OH, and for the record, Sid's friend Mandi ROCKS because her blog name is 'goonies never say die'...such a classic movie...sid must be great because she picks great friends...except for that one kid with the girly hair...hahahaha...ok that was totally a joke.

i'm erin. said...

ummmm...p.s. I wasn't invited to the sweet sixteen?!? I hope I will be invited soon and I hope even more that it will be a dance party.

♥Jamie! said...

Hello!
I read Sidney's blog, and I think she is pretty awesome.
I also think you are an awesome mother for doing this, it's a wonderful thing! there needs to be more moms like you. (Wow, that sounded cheesy!)
-Jamie

Peggy Eddleman said...

Sid is one of the most amazing girls I have ever known! And very beautiful besides. Loved the pictures (way to be organized, btw)! And I loved the tribute even more-- it made me a little teary eyed.

meg. said...

Mam I luff you
And your daughter!

Sidney said...

Mam... all i have to say is that I love you oh so mucho grande!!!

Luke said...

Wow, I have the sixteenth comment! Well, that's such a nice post Tammy! You sure have a special girl in Sidney.. Well, from what I hear and read anyway! Talk to you soon for sure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails