Saturday, August 14, 2010

Navajo Tacos



This is one of my family's favorite meals to eat. The scone recipe came from Faye Jaynes, an amazing cook in my neighborhood who used to work for the school lunch system back when they actually made the food. I'm not going to comment on school lunch right now. Let's just say my kids usually come home STARVING! And my kids aren't terribly picky, either. I do remember when I was a sixth-grader getting to take turns helping in the lunchroom. It was so fun! I searched for YEARS to find a comparable peanut finger recipe, and I still haven't found a no-bake cookie that comes close. They were so yummy!

O.K. That was just a little tangent. Back to the Tacos....

I love this recipe because the chili mixture is from scratch. It doesn't even use a taco-seasoning packet! Stop using those, people! There are better ways!

Make the dough in advance. It takes three hours to rise in the fridge. It's also great for honey butter.


Scone Dough:
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar
8 cups flour
1 quart buttermilk
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 eggs
6 Tablespoons oil

Mix dry ingredients together, set aside. Heat buttermilk until lukewarm. Mix yeast in water and add to buttermilk. Mix in eggs and oil. Add dry ingredients. Dough will be sticky. Cover and refrigerate at least three hours. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut to desired size. Deep-fry in hot (375 degree) oil. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Honey Butter:
1 pound butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
honey to taste

Whip softened butter and add powdered sugar and honey. Beat well.






Chili topping:

1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cilantro, dried
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
4-8 oz. cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans dark kidney beans, 15 oz. size
1 can light kidney beans, 15 oz size

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain fat. Add seasonings and cook one minute. Add tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Add beans which have been drained and rinsed. Simmer 20 minutes.

Top hot scones with chili and other traditional toppings of your choice: sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped onions, guacamole, taco sauce, limes, cilantro, cheese.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I so want to make this. This would make a great Sunday breakfast or dinner. Help!? I can't make up my mind. The honey butter looks divine.

Vickie said...

Thanks Tam for the recipes! I think we shall have this for Monday evening. Looks so yummy.

i'm erin. said...

Oh my word, I am salivating! I'm going to make those. They look so good. Thanks for the recipe. I've always wanted to know how to make honey butter, but I didn't know.

Peggy said...

I came to your blog when I was hungry, and had to leave. I'm not starving at the moment, so I figured it was safe to come back, BUT I WAS WRONG! Dang, Tammy. You make food look good. I think I might have to try that very soon.

The Woff Pack said...

Yummy Yummy!! Must try this very soon.

a little music said...

Your food is what's for dinner. Every time.

Also - did you know that I have THE recipe for the lunchlady's peanut butter fingers??? It happens to be true.

Anonymous said...

Tam, wow, these look amazing! I am a huge tacos fan, and these sound great. I found your blog through the Tasty Kitchen.

Angie
http://cocinadiary.blogspot.com/

Pamela said...

Yay!!! I am so glad I stopped by this morning...now I know what I am going to make for dinner. Really! Biggest problem of the day solved.

Val said...

Drool Worthy!!!

kellieanne said...

Your food is seriously my favorite food to eat. Tammy food is the best!

Just SO said...

Oh I love Navajo Taco's! Mmmmm...

And I have a great No Bake cookie recipe if you want it. I also have a rockin' Peanut Butter Finger recipe as well. Shoot me an email if you want them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails