Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Photo Friday--Chicken & Wild Rice Chowder








Since spring is obviously on it's way, (yay!) I've got to get as much milage out of the soup recipes as possible!  This requires a little pre-preparation with the wild rice, but the rest is pretty simple.


Chicken & Wild Rice Chowder


8 slices bacon--cooked, set aside, save drippings

3 Tbsp. drippings from bacon
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
1 cup celery, chopped
3 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups cream
5 Tbsp. flour
1 cup wild rice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups cooked chicken--roasted is yummiest
1 Tbsp. chicken base--not bouillon, Better Than Bouillon from Macey's is good


Cook wild rice in 3 cups of water until done, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Cook bacon until crisp. Chop, set aside. Save drippings.
Put drippings and butter in 8 quart sauce pot. Saute celery, onions, & carrot for 5 minutes.
Stir in flour, salt, & pepper. Stir until flour thickens. Slowly add chicken broth.
Add cooked rice & heat to boiling. Lower heat, cover, & let simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cream, chicken base. Taste. Adjust salt if needed. Add chicken and chopped-up bacon.

This is pretty hearty--if you'd like it thinned down at all, add 1 cup milk and 1 tsp. additional chicken base.

4 comments:

Ella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ella said...

Tammy, I think if your are going to do this food friday thing you ned to have sample's available so we know if we want to make it!!Thats a great idea don't ya think???lol

i'm erin. said...

oh my, I can't even tell you how good that looks...I have been eating yucky cafeteria food and that looks amazing...so yummy yummy yummy. I love the picture too and the colors are so vibrant. Sometimes I wish I was you...or better yet, sydney, because then I could eat your food everyday!

kellieanne said...

I can tell all of you first hand this recipe is great! I made it for dinner the other night and LOVED it! So, you get exactly what you think from the picture. Yum Tammy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails