Friday, January 30, 2009

Food Photo Friday--Lemon Lust





This recipe came from a California bakery.  They had been making lemon bars for several years and they had always sold well.  During a trip to Europe they saw a pastry in a bakery called 'Lemon Lust'.  They loved the name.  When they returned to their own bakery, they renamed their lemon bars 'Lemon Lust'. Their sales tripled! The kind of marketing that I'm a sucker for!  I've made these many times and can't imagine anything yummier!

Lemon Lust:

Crust:
1 cup (8 oz. ) cold butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour


Filling:
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp grated lemon zest (about two lemons)

Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In food processor:
Cut the cold butter into 1" pieces--return to refrigerator
In the bowl of the food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, place the powdered sugar, salt, and flour.  Pulse until well blended.  Add the chilled butter and toss with your hands to coat the pieces with flour.  Process the mixture until it looks like fine meal,  about 15 seconds.  (Can be made in a bowl with a pastry cutter)

Transfer crust dough to  a 15x10* inch glass baking pan and press firmly into the bottom.  Place pan on center rack in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.

While the crust bakes, make the filling. Combine the baking powder and flour.  In a separate medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until they are well mixed.  Add the sugar and beat until it is fully incorporated.  Add the baking powder and flour in small amounts, beating after each addition.  Whisk in the lemon juice and zest.  

Pour filling over hot crust and return to oven for 15-20 additional minutes or until filling has set and top is golden brown.  Let bars cool in the pan on a wire rack.  When completely cool, dust with powdered sugar.

*I don't have this size pan.  I use a 9x13 and bake it for 5 minutes or so longer.  The center will be slightly jiggly.  And yes, calling them 'Lemon Lust' does make them taste better.


7 comments:

Kimmie said...

oooooo, oooohhhh, aaaaww! YUMMY, these remind me of growing up! My mon would always make them, they were always best right out of the oven... I think? That's because we couldn't wait for them to come out of the oven...:)Come to think of it, I should probably try one that has cooled down...any extras?

Carterista said...

I'm sure I'll break down and make these soon! BTW, will you learn me how to dust them beauties? I ain't no good at dustin'.

Ella said...

uh uh those look yum!
Tammy you are an evil evil woman!
Maybe I should come to your house for a sample to make sure I would like to make them! What do ya think?

Unknown said...

Good valentine recipe! I'll have to try this out.

kellieanne said...

Beautiful treat! I'm going to make me some right now!

Carolyn said...

Taylor and I made these tonight but they are taking forever to finish baking...they were runny the first time we pulled them out and now I am worried I am going to over cook them...whats the Lemon Lust secret??!!

tammy said...

Carolyn--It's a little tricky to tell when and if they are done and it might take a little trial and error. I make sure they are a nice light to mid golden brown all over the top and the center seems just a little bit jiggly but not liquidy. As they cool, they do set up a bit more. Just a TAD undercooked is better than over cooked as they then start to dry out and lose their yumminess. It really does depend on your oven quite a bit. When you find the right time, be sure to write it down on your recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails