Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Really, really, really good-looking.......cookies


This was a new recipe I tried from Melodysoul on Tasty Kitchen. The reason I love them so much is their resemblance to actual brownies, which the name obviously implies, but usually tends to leave me a little skeptical.....some recipe names just don't live up to their potential, you know? Well, these totally hit the bullseye!


My favorite brownies are the perfect mix of chewy, cakey, fudgy, AND the great crispy edges. The best part of the brownie, for me, is the corner. We know this in my house. Sometimes I'll make brownies and later walk by the pan to see the sides and middle brownies gone--eaten by the other inhabitants of my house--and the corners left intact, either because they love me so much, or because they fear me......I don't know which. If the entire pan could bake up like the corner we will have achieved nirvana!


I know you can get crazy pans to maximize corner-goodness, but really--I like kitchen gadgets, not gimmicks. And besides, it costs $20 on the 'as seen on TV' aisle at The Walmarts and you only get like, 8 brownies....not near enough!!



These cookies, however, had all the essentials of the perfect brownie! Chewy, cakey, and fudgy on the inside, and crispy-chewy like the corner on the entire outside!! And they bake up so pretty! I love it when all the cookies come out the same size....it feeds a need for order that I am unable to achieve in other areas of my life.



The dough is very thin (for a cookie...) until it is chilled. I baked one pan after about two hours of refrigeration, and baked a minute or two less, and they were good. I let the dough sit overnight before baking the rest of the dough and then I used a medium cookie scoop and baked them for 11 minutes. A lot of dough loses integrity after sitting for a day, but this dough improved! Let them sit on the pan for a couple of minutes before moving to a rack. The only change I made to the recipe was to QUADRUPLE it the second time I made it. That's how much I loved them.



Brownie Cookies



¼ cups Butter

1-½ cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips

¾ cups Sugar

3 whole Eggs

1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

1 cup All-purpose Flour

¼ teaspoons Baking Powder

¼ teaspoons Salt


In a saucepan, or in the microwave, gently melt butter and chocolate chips until the butter is melted and chocolate begins to melt. Remove from heat and stir until all the chocolate has melted completely.

In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until they’re thoroughly combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or until manageable.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Using a tablespoon or mini ice cream scoop, drop cookie dough onto baking sheets, leaving a couple of inches of space in between each cookie.

Bake for 12 minutes.


From Melodysoul on Tasty Kitchen

6 comments:

JoMamma said...

Who ever thought of this recepie is a genius. I thought there was no way to improve brownies, but this looks like one way to do it. I'll be trying this soon.

Erin Writes said...

dang dang dang! I want to make them so bad. In fact I just went and pulled everything out and I only have 2 damn eggs!

I'm so so so so angry and chocolate impotent right now.

a little music said...

You . . . are . . . a . . . goddess.

Peggy said...

I am so making these.

Jameson said...

HOLY CRAP THEY LOOK SO DELICIOUS!! WHEN DID YOU MAKE THOSE???

The Church Cook said...

I'll have a dozen please! These look scrumptious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails