Saturday, January 01, 2011

Name It Yourself


I had what I thought was a clever name for this dip. Until my husband pointed out the, shall we say, unchaste sounding nature of the title to me. And no, I'm not going to let you know what it was.....

So, you can pick a better name if you want, but addicting is what it is. My friend, Cecilia, brought this dip to a little gathering we had a few days ago. I couldn't stay out of it! I felt dirty...like I was taking advantage of the fact that everyone else was playing Wii, while I was furtively dipping chip after chip into the little croc pot, taking WAY more than my share of this creamy, spicy goodness!!

After consulting with her on her recipe, I put a version together with just a bit of tweaking....I have a tendancy to add a little somethin' somethin' to the recipes I steal from people!

So here you go. Don't say you weren't warned:

Thought I Had A Pretty Good Name Dip

1 pound Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
1/2 of a red bell pepper--diced
1 small onion--diced
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with green chilis--mild
1 tsp cider vinegar
3 dashes tobasco (optional--I found that it added just the right amount of spiciness)

Brown the Jimmy Dean in a small cast iron saute pan. Or any saute pan, for that matter...

Chop it up real good! And then chop it up some MORE!! Make it real tiny!! Unless you like chunks...then stop whenever you like!

Add the pepper and onion and let them cook and soften some with the sausage.

At this point, you may throw everything together in a croc pot and let it sloooowly melt together, while you occasionally stir to mix it up.

--OR--

You can do what I did because you are impatient and don't want to dirty more dishes:
Add the cream cheese to the sausage and let soften some. Then add the sour cream, Rotel tomatoes, cider vinegar, and tobasco if using.

Cook over medium-low heat until all is melted and blended together nicely!

I added a scosh (that's a bit more than a titch) of milk to thin it down some. Only do this if it's to your liking. This is YOUR dip! Make it personal-like!

Serve hot with some lovely corn tortila chips and all will be right with the universe! World peace will ensue! Things will be cured!

Thank you Cecilia for one more uber-fattening, utterly delicious recipe I can add to my collection. You're the best!

2 comments:

kellieanne said...

I so totally ate more than you did of this delish dish because you left early after your delving experience and I wiied it and ate it equally.

How about "The Unstoppable Dip" - Jason should have fun with that.

Carterista said...

I was hoping there'd be enough left for you after I brought it over, opened, it, and dipped in myself quite a few times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails