Thursday, August 06, 2009

The end of a struggle.

Last night the husband of my friend from another lifetime posted this.


As I read his posts from the past few weeks, it was obvious that things were escalating to a rapid end. I spent a lot of time contemplating what that would be like, both for him as her partner and best friend, and for her, knowing you were leaving your young family behind. How does one prepare for that? Especially in the midst of all the other more practical stuff like trying to stay alive as long as you can.

I know that Susan and Elden's religious beliefs mirror my own. And that they know that struggles are a part of life and learning and that separations like this are temporary. That they will be together forever as a family if that is their choice. But in this life, I can't imagine watching my best friend suffer and then letting them go.

I pay silent tribute to those involved with Susan's illness and passing. It required tremendous strength and faith and love. I'd like to think that I could give the same. That being said, I hope I never have to prove it in that particular way.

I can see though, that her tenacity can be applied to anything. The stakes might not be as serious, but the effort is not wasted if everyone would FIGHT LIKE SUSAN.

6 comments:

Carterista said...

Touching. Inspiring.
Maybe I can fight a little harder.

i'm erin. said...

wow. Thanks for sharing this. It gives you perspective...so touching.

Carterista said...

“There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes even if you lose, you win.” (Elie Wiesel)

tammy said...

And he would know, Cecilia....

Peggy said...

I love that her husband talks about how he has changed by being around her example. So sweet!

a little music said...

I've known people who have fought and lost, and who have lost loved ones like this. It isn't a struggle I want to go through, that's for sure. But I think, measure for measure, we're all blessed with the strength to rise to whatever occasion we have to face. I know I couldn't raise seven children, and I know you have the grace to do so.

I guess what I'm saying is that you do fight like Susan, in your own particular way. You meet life's challenges in your own lovely way. We all do, or hope to fight like Susan.

I'm with you, though, in complete agreement. Thanks for sharing this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails